Peer Support Worker
Company: Brien Center for Mental Health
Posted on: June 6, 2021
To support Persons with lived experience, while promoting
wellness and recovery. The Peer Support Worker will promote person
centered self determination and decision making through the use of
their own recovery stories and lived experience.
Essential Job Functions
- Support Persons to identify and develop individual goals toward
personal recovery and wellness.
- Complete Activity Log of time spent with Persons
- Complete a weekly calendar of meetings and appointments and
submit to supervisor weekly
- Use Certified Peer Specialist Training (CPS) skills to listen,
support, model and inspire for hope and self determination.
- Utilize an Action Plan for Prevention and Recovery approach to
develop person centered wellness and recovery plans
- Use skills to inspire employees and Persons to understand
trauma, language and person centered support skills
- Attend, learn and utilize skills from IPS Intentional Peer
Support (Sherry Mead)
- Support the 8 Dimensions of Wellness
- Assist Persons with goal setting, problem solving and skill
- Communicate a sense of hopefulness, equality and respect at all
times to provide encouragement and support for Person.
- Participate in recovery planning meeting based on CPS
- Facilitate/ co-facilitate recovery based groups and
- Develop and maintain relationships with community resources,
which support Persons links to the community.
- Attend Peer Worker Trainings and Workshops that support
recovery and wellness services within the agency and through other
recovery and wellness trainings by the Recovery Learning Community,
DMH and other trainings as required.
- Meet and support Persons a minimum of once a week to develop
- Transport Persons in the community when needed
- Collaborate and participate in meetings and service
coordination with outside agencies and community supports
- Assist and teach Persons to access local transportation (PT-1,
BRTA, taxi, natural supports, etc.)
- Serve on interagency committees
- Report any incidents, accidents, injuries to your supervisor
according to agency policy
- Other duties as assigned by supervisors
- Complete all required paperwork i.e. time cards, , mileage
- Documentation based on CPS Training Guidelines
- Attend all scheduled supervision.
- Keep supervisors well informed
- Participate in monthly Peer Professional staff meetings and
other trainings and workshops
- Follow all agency policies and procedures
- Ability to pass a CORI (Criminal Background check) and DMV
(Department of Motor Vehicles check)
- Drivers License and ability to use a personally insured vehicle
for agency business
- Attend CPS Training and pass CPS Exam within 1 year of hire or
transfer to position
Qualifications and Skills
- Individual with lived experience and possessing strong personal
skills and professional peer support skills to self disclose in a
manner that is trauma sensitive for the purpose of promoting
recovery and wellness for Persons and to support the mission of
- Problem solving skills and ability to suggest options and
alternatives using core values of a certified peer specialist.
- Support and promote the belief that Persons with lived
experience can and do recover in a personal way that represents
each Persons personal journey.
- Computer skills.
- Strong listening, oral and presentation (communication)
- Able to convey lived experience in a person centered
- Human Rights
- First Aid
- Motivational Interviewing
- Trauma Informed Care
- Peer Support Worker Training (Year 1 and refresher as
- Mutuality Workshop (Year 1 and refresher as needed)
- Hearing Voices Network Training for knowledge and possible
- Intentional Peer Support (IPS) (Year 1 and refresher as
- Documentation Trainings as per CPS Guidelines
- Corporate Compliance
- And all required and applicable Brien Center trainings/
- Works in various places in the community and at other Brien
- Manuel & visual dexterity: correctable
- Lifting maximums: weight of grocery bags and/ or laundry
- Push, pull, stand, reach overhead and twist
- Able to bend at knees, waist and lower self to the ground or
floor without assistance
- Able to physically climb and descend stairs without
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified
individuals with disabilities to perform essential tasks
Keywords: Brien Center for Mental Health, Pittsfield , Peer Support Worker, Other , Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!